Apple a Day Means Fall's On its Way
Let your taste buds know that fall is only a week away with this vegetarian smoked apple soup.
I don't know whether to jump for joy into a pile of leaves or cringe with the cool breeze as I watch the first leaves fall, covering the ground—the first sign of fall's approach.
One thing is for sure though, with fall comes harvest and with harvest comes delicious local produce and amazing dinners.
One of my favorite places to visit when fall is nearing is Melick's, in Oldwick. Last year, I visited and wrote about the Melick family—this time I am visiting for a specific reason, apples of course, and those apples will be used to make an amazing curried apple soup.
This soup is sure to spice up your dinner and excite your taste buds as fresh local apples and curry dance in your mouth.
Vegan Curried Apple Soup
- 1 tsp curry powder [or to your taste]
- 3 large apples peeled and chopped [I prefer Cortland or Macintosh]
- quart of vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup soy creamer
- 4 tbsp vegan butter [earth balance is a great choice]
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- Saute the chopped onion in a large saucepan over medium heat with about a tbsp of melted butter.
- Add the apples and veg stock and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the curry powder.
- Melt the remaining butter in another pan over low heat and stir in the flour until thick. Add to the soup mixture slowly. Bring back to a boil and remove from heat.
- Put through a food processor and put mixture back into sauce pan. Add the cream and heat through.
I served this the other night to a room full of hungry boys, and they were begging to go apple picking to make another batch. Now that is the reaction I hope to get out of all of you too!