Fireplace Ashes Catch Fire in Garbage Can
Fire quickly knocked down on Garretson Road Thursday morning.
Firefighters responded to an early morning fire on Garretson Road Thursday after someone disposed of fireplace ashes in a garbage can, according to North Branch Fire Chief Dave Hickson.
According to Hickson, the blaze was discovered by Green Knoll fire official Karl McAleer, who knocked it down quickly with a water extinguisher in his first responder vehicle.
"The balance of the fire was knocked down with a joint effort of the Bridgewater District 3 fire companies, McAleer and fire official Glenn Wilson," he said.
From there, Hickson said, he arrived with back-up water support that was used by Green Knoll firefighter Mark Hudec.
"The blaze rose to unexpected heights during the battle," Hudec said, "but thanks to my years of experience and aggressive attack, was stopped in its tracks."
Green Knoll Fire Chief James Vitale was also on hand on the scene with a 3,000-gallon water tender.
"I have seen many incidents like this escalate in my 60-plus years of fire service, and I don't think you can ever be over prepared," he said.
Hickson said the fire did not spread too badly, and was under control within 90 seconds.