The 2011 season for the Bridgewater-Raritan High School Marching Panthers has been historic, as the band will complete the greatest season in its history with a final performance during the half-time show at the Jets game Sunday.
This year the band went undefeated in its class for both the USSBA and Band of America competition circuits. This is an all-time first accomplishment for a New Jersey marching band in the 35-year history of both circuits.
2011 SEASON HIGHLIGHTS:
- The band medaled at both BOA Regional Championships it attended in 2011. On Sept. 24, at the Pittsburgh BOA Regional, the band swept all caption awards and won class AAAA for Large Schools. BRHS placed second overall in the show, which featured bands from seven different states, including Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland, New York and New Jersey.
- On Oct. 15, the Panther Band was crowned grand champion at the Yamaha Cup, held in East Rutherford at the Met-Life Stadium. In all, there were 57 bands in this competition, and the BRHS band won show by an unprecedented spread of two points over every other competitor, including the best bands in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Connecticut.
- On Oct. 22, the band travelled to the Bands of America Mid-Atlantic Regional, held at Johnny Unitas Stadium on the campus of Towson University in Maryland. The band once again medaled and won the most competitive class [AAAA Large Schools]. This contest was set up in a preliminary and finals format. There were 27 bands in the prelims, and only 10 were invited to make the cut to perform in the finals. BRHS was third overall in the contest.
- Overall, the band was 92-0 against USSBA bands and 41-3 versus BOA Bands, including winning two class championship titles/medals. The band is also most proud of having an undefeated season in music performance.
DECADE OF EXCELLENCE: 2002-2012
Since 2002, the BRHS band has accomplished the following:
- Eight wind ensemble appearances at the NJ STATE GALA [2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011]
- The wind ensemble was the best band at New York Wind Band Festival held at Carnegie Hall 2008
- Seven New Jersey USSBA State Marching Band Titles [2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010]
- Three Yamaha Cup Titles at Giants Stadium [2004, 2005, 2011]
- Four BOA Regional Class Championships [2006 Youngtown, 2010 Towson, ‘2011 Pittsburg, 2011 Towson]
- One USSBA Northern States Grand Champion Title, 2009
- Jazz I NJAJE State Champions 2006 & 2007
- Jazz I State Finalists Appearances [2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011]
- Jazz II State Finalist [2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011]
- MAIN Circuit AA Champions, 2004
- USSBA AAA Champions, 2011