Benjamin Franklin was known to enjoy the company of Newfoundlands, while George Washington is credited with creating the American Foxhound breed.
Always a man to go his own way, John Adams favored mutts—especially one he named "Satan."
The adoptable dogs we're featuring this week may remind us of the Founding Fathers' wisdom in a new way—they're great breeds and could be your next best friend.
Contact the rescue groups below to find out how you can do your patriotic part by adopting a new best friend.
- Lifeline Animal Rescue, Inc. is located at 16 Mount Bethel Road, in Warren. To inquire about their dogs, send an email to LifelineInfo@aol.com.
- Rawhide Rescue is also located in Warren. To learn more about their adoptable dogs, call 908-581-3417 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Companion Animal Placement [CAP-Hillsborough] is located at 329 Roycefield Road in Hillsborough. Reach them by email at email@example.com.
- Bridgewater's Husky House may specialize in huskies, but they also have a number of other breeds. For more information, visit their website or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Center, located in Branchburg, can be reached at 908-526-3330 or by email at email@example.com.