Somerset County Vocational High School and Technical Institute
The Somerset County Vocational and Technical School accepts students from both Somerset and Hunterdon counties. Students have the option of partaking in several different courses of study, aside from their regularly required high school classes. Courses offered include career and technical programs, health and science academy, performing arts and others. Sections within these tracts include dance, automotive, cosmetology, culinary arts, printmaking and others.
In order to enter the school, students are required to go through an admissions process where teachers and administrators at the school look at their seventh and eighth grade testing scores, as well as the rest of their educational records. Students can choose to attend the school either full time or through shared time where they attend the school after regular high school classes during the day.
Students attending the school do not pay unless they are considered special needs students or are participating in the Health and Science Academy, which includes courses at the Raritan Valley Community College.
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 7:45am - 2:15pm; Media Center: Mon - Fri, 7:45am - 3pm; During summer: Mon - Fri, 8am - 2:30pm
- Handicap Accessible: Outdoor ramps
- Number of students: 650700
- Male-to-female ratio: About 50:50
- Public/Private: Public
- Acceptance rate (%): 90
- Graduation rate (%): 75
- Accreditation/licenses: The school is licensed by the New Jersey Department of Education.
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 15:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: About 150 faculty members
- How engaged is the school with the community?: The school has an active Emergency Management Training program, and is looking to work with Habitat for Humanity.